BVSC will be consulting on the creation of an Employing people with Lived Experience (PwLE) Charter.
The vision for the Charter is that it will eventually become embedded within services and organisations as standard practice and will be the catalyst for significant culture change across organisations in all sectors within Birmingham.
The hope is that it will help to break down barriers, challenges and negative assumptions about the recruitment of PwLE and create systemic changes across organisations.
The Lived Experience Charter has the potential to change employment structures, systems and attitudes concerning the recruitment and retention of PwLE and to improve the access and inclusivity of PwLE in the workforce, whilst bringing about an overall culture change and more opportunities for all.
The process of adopting Charter status will enable organisations to review their policy structures, work environments and implement positive practices, which will improve awareness of the barriers facing PwLE and enable a more open and inclusive recruitment and retention process.
Charter Values will include
- We support the open and inclusive recruitment of people with lived experience within our organisation, by our partner organisations and within the community.
- We raise awareness within our organisation of the benefits of employing people with lived experience, the barriers people often face and how to overcome these.
- We provide people with lived experience the support they may need from the start of their employment and throughout, including an exit interview and support should they leave.
- We strive to have clear progression pathways for people with lived experience, including accredited training, from entry level through to leadership and we provide opportunities for personal and professional development.
- We take responsibility to ensure a workplace environment and culture that is free from discriminatory practices, unconscious bias or prejudice and we implement organisational improvements to support inclusivity.
- We commit to share good practice and to ensure co-production of our services with people with lived experience.